Starting: To help Tim purchase furniture for the condo he’s renting in Philly! His lease officially began on January 1st, but he’s taking his time finding pieces he loves and I’m having fun helping him shop. Side note: I do not care for salespeople who follow you in stores. I know you work on commission but please stop appearing around corners and scaring the heckin’ daylights out of me.
Hoping: To get back my workout motivation. The holidays are SO hard and every year I swear I won’t lapse but food + alcohol + wanting to spend every moment savoring the time with friends and family = much less exercising. Related: Please comment with the ONE workout song that never fails to get you moving!
Scheduling: The 7+ weddings (a few could be added) we have on deck for 2018 and all the activities that go with them – I’m a bridesmaid in 3 and Tim joins me as a groomsman in 1, so we have a LOT on our plates this year! I’m so excited for all of my friends and I can’t wait to start celebrating – beginning with a bridal shower this Saturday! PS. If you got engaged, Minted is offering 25% off Save the Dates and 15% off Wedding orders with code WINTERWED18!
Reading: NOTHING and I hate it. I need to get to the library or browse my Overdrive app for new downloads. Does anyone have any recommendations?! I will read just about anything, forreal.
Playing: ALL the games! I don’t think a day went by over break where we didn’t play a board game, word game, charades game or at least a card game. Our current favorites include: Settlers of Catan, Camel Cup, the Oregon Trail card game, Rummy/Gin Rummy, and the “Bradley Game” or Fishbowl as it’s more commonly known. Curious? Here’s how to play:
- Pass out 3-5 slips of paper to everyone playing (go lower if you have less time) and each player writes a short phrase (1-5 words) on each slip. This can literally be ANYTHING you choose (“Stephen farted a llama”) but be aware of the rest of the game rules. Put the slips in a bowl or hat.
- Split up into two equal teams, alternating your seating accordingly.
- For Round #1: Each player has 1 minute to pick as many slips of paper out of the bowl (no passing or skipping) and get their team to guess what’s written down – you can say anything you wish EXCEPT what’s written on the slip. No pointing or gesturing! Once all slips have been used, count and record the amount each team got right. Example: for “Stephen farted a llama” I could say “Will’s brother tooted the alpaca”
- For Round #2: Put the SAME SLIPS back into the bowl and set the timer for 1 minute. This time, each player can only use ONE WORD to get his/her team to guess the slip. This sounds difficult, but if you paid attention in the first round, you should remember! ; ) We are verrrry strict here: If you say “um” that counts as your one word and you CANNOT skip a slip. No gesturing or pointing. You can say your one word as many times as you wish, but it is the only word you can say. Example: For “Stephen farted a llama” I would say “alpaca” – and I could say “alpaca alpaca alpaca alpaca” to indicate that the slip was 4 words long. Count your slips and put them back in the bowl!
- For Round #3: Each player must act out the slips they pull! No speaking or noises of any kind. No props. Basically, traditional charades rules. We recently decided that you can only point at yourself. So if Stephen was in the room, I cannot point at him to get my team to guess “Stephen farted a llama.” ; )
Enjoy the ensuing ridiculousness and belly laughs! — Linking with Anne for this month’s Currently! 🙂