You guys. I really, really hate daylight savings time. Driving home from the city in the dark is not fun, by the time I get home I’m even more tired than I normally would be, AND I feel as though I have no time to accomplish everything I want/need to do before bed! Sometimes it’s necessary to repeat to myself: “You have the same amount of hours in the day as Beyonce.”
Anyway, balancing work, a commute, adult chores, fitness, blogging, photography and a social life can definitely be tricky – and sometimes, date nights with Tim get put on the back burner. We see each other so often (we only live four minutes apart,) but sometimes it’s easier to snuggle on the couch with Netflix and call it “date night” than it is to actually plan an event or outing. Don’t get me wrong… #snugsforlife – but sometimes it’s necessary to throw on some heels and hit the town with the guy you love ; )
WHICH BRINGS US TO:
Seriously, I mean EASY. Notice I didn’t say free – but none of these are wildly expensive either. And maybe you need an idea for a special date or anniversary anyway! Glad to be of assistance ; ) Disclaimer: We haven’t done every item on this list, but I can’t wait to try the ones we haven’t gotten to yet!
- Walnut Street Theater: Catch a show or a musical, grab a drink at intermission, and spend the drive home loudly singing the songs you just heard in an off-key voice. Wait, that might just be us… A Christmas Story: The Musical is playing through January 10th and tickets range from $20-95 dollars, depending on your seat choice!
- Monk’s: I don’t know if you picked up what I threw down this past Monday, but I really love craft beer. Tim also really loves craft beer, and I love Tim. Together, we enjoy tasting craft beer. #overkill – I’ve been meaning to take him to Monk’s for months now, considering they are widely considered the best beer bar in the city! Hopefully we’ll get there soon, and I’ll give you guys a full (drunken) review.
- Indoor Mini Golf: We are a pretty active couple, so if you and your bae also can’t sit still for too many hours at a time (Tim has restless leg syndrome, I swear) than a night of indoor mini golf is perfect for you. Adventurers and Keystone are located in South and North Philly, respectively – and Keystone is BYOB! Try it out, and pleeease let us know what you think.
- Love Letter Train Tour: Be still my heart. A $20, hour and a half train ride around Philly to view 50 murals painted on rooftops, that “collectively express a love letter from a guy to a girl, from an artist to his hometown and from local residents to their West Philadelphia neighborhood.” Say no more; I’m in
- Restaurant Crawl: This one is definitely a “choose your own adventure” type of date – remember those awesome books from elementary school!? It’s easy: Pick 3 different restaurants within walking distance (or driving if you’re adapting this to the ‘burbs) and have an appetizer at one, entree at another and dessert at the third! This is a GREAT way to try new places, and get in a bit of exercise and fresh air in the process : )
- Comedy Show: If musicals aren’t your thing, and you’d prefer to pee-your-pants laugh next to the girl or guy of your dreams, no worries. Helium Comedy Club is one of our FAVORITE date night venues – choose someone you’ve heard of or take a chance on an up-and-coming comic, but either way, your dinner will be delicious. Or, check out Philly Improv Theater for cheaper tickets and a unique brand of comedy!
- Bowling & Booze: Need I say more? I can personally recommend Lucky Strike but I’ve also heard great things about North Bowl! And if your guy doesn’t particularly like bowling, you could always suggest it as a company holiday party venue instead! ; )
- Outdoor Ice Skating: Step 1: Drive to Dilworth Park or Penn’s Landing. Step 2: Buy tickets, rent skates, tie laces: Appear to know what you are doing. Step 3. Attempt to gracefully circle the rink while hand in hand with your lover. Step 4: Give up on being romantic and proceed to race obnoxiously around small children instead. Step 5: Post skating adult beverages.
- Barcade: “If you like old school arcade games, and drinking beer with your boo..” – That’s how that song goes right? Okay well, if you DO enjoy these things, Barcade is the perfect date night for you. Bring cash to convert to tokens, stake out the Star Wars and Pac Man games and feel free to trash talk your significant other prior to beginning. All’s fair in love and pixelated competition, right?
- BONUS SUBURBS OPTIONS! Here are a few things we love doing when driving to the city just feels like too much for a weeknight: Painting with a Twist (multiple locations, BYOB, you end up with a beautiful/hilarious piece of art) Stargazing with the SkyView app (grab a blanket or 6 and make a nest, or climb in the hottub with a beer and learn some constellations!) or – my personal favorite, the AMC dine-in theater (does this need explanation? every movie is better with a cocktail and french fries)
LET THE DATE NIGHTS BEGIN!
Okay that sounds a bit Hunger Games-ish. But seriously, have fun, throw in a little PDA if that’s your thing, and be sure to check back and tell me about your experience! Enjoy!