I honestly don’t know a single person who doesn’t want to be in better shape. I know plenty of people who are in GREAT shape – but they still feel like they have room for improvement, or at the very least, they need to continue at the pace they’re currently on.
So, we make resolutions. Listen, they aren’t just for New Year’s, guys. I make fitness goals all year round! Rarely do I hold myself crazy accountable for them – they’re more of an overview to make sure I’m moving – but I’m hoping this year might be different. This is the first year I’ve had a gym membership that I’ve already consistently been USING pre-resolutions. #TeamPF!
But let’s be real – sometimes it’s just insanely hard to get your butt in gear. To get out of the warm bed on a cold morning, or to change into workout clothes after a long day at work. To run in the cold or to drive 15 minutes to the gym. These deterrents are definitely what make me less fit than I’d like to be – I give in to what I WANT way more often than doing what my body NEEDS. Do you suffer from “comfortitis” as well? Check out my motivation tips and get moving!
- Reward yourself! It doesn’t matter WHAT you use as “bait” – so long as it gets you out the door. A semi-healthy snack post workout, an episode of Making A Murderer before bed, or an extra long shower before work. How about a new outfit after you complete 10 workouts?
- Challenge yourself -Join a FitBit or Map My Run challenge, meet up with a buddy who’s also trying to lose weight, or (if you’re competitive enough) write down a specific number of workouts per week that you’d like to meet or beat. You can even do “remote” workouts with faraway friends – just make sure you both take photo evidence to prove it!
- Make it easy. Promise yourself that if you start your run, or drive to the gym, you can do less miles or reps than you normally do. You’re pretty likely to get started and end up doing just as much as you planned anyway – the first step is always the hardest! And if you do end up taking it easy? You’re still lapping everyone on the couch ; )
- Lay it all out. Seriously, ALL of it. Clothes, shoes, socks, headphones, headband, EVERYTHING. If you don’t go workout, you’ll have to painstakingly put it all away… I’ll take a hard pass on that one, thanks.
- Do the math. How much money are you wasting every time you skip a class or a workout? That’s one way to look at it. Another way is to take how much you pay per month and divide it into a set number of workouts. I pay $10 a month and I (aim) to go at least 2x a week, so my workouts cost me $1.25 each – I don’t like to let that number rise!
Still can’t get into a groove? You need a new playlist – trust me, music always makes exercise easier. Check out my top 5 jams for different aspects of a workout – and definitely leave me a note if you’ve got any great songs I should be listening to!
- Song to increase your tempo – Calling Le7els, The Way I feel – Ou Est Le Swimming Pool
- Song to motivate you with lyrics – My Body – Young the Giant
- Song to cool down after a long run – Take Me Up – Coleman Hell
- Song to feel strong – Confident – Demi Lovato
- Song to help you finish that ab workout – Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore
Happy workouts, y’all – nope, that’s not an oxymoron! ; )