Happy Friday Eve! I hope you’ve all had a happy and healthy week so far : ) We all have different situations – some of us work in an office or from home, some of us work our butts off as mamas, some of us are hard at work on degrees and some of us might not work yet at all – but I wanted to start talking about a subject that is near and dear to my heart: working OUT! Specifically – how to work out at work!
Having a job where you’re stuck at a desk all day or even on the road can be tough – on your eyes, your posture and your overall fitness. I work 9:30-5:30 in an office about 45 minutes from home. That means I’m gone from around 8:30am to 6:15pm every day. I try to be asleep by 11 because I have turned into a total zombie if you keep me up much later, which means after dinner I’ve got about 4.5 hours to spare every day for everything else I want to do. And don’t even get me started on waking up early – I am NOT a morning person, especially when it’s still not light out yet! So where do I fit in my fitness?
For about 9 months now I’ve belonged to an absolutely amazing gym – Fit Body Boot Camp. My mom joined about a year before that and finally got me to sign up with a really great Groupon opportunity. FBBC is a group training program designed to burn maximum fat and tone muscles in a 30 minute high intensity class, with a great variety of class times each day. But what about those days when I know I’ve slept in, I’ve got plans after dinner and I still want to exercise? That’s when it’s time for an At Work(out)!
Get sweaty? At work? In front of people? “No thank you,” you’re all sayin. But hear me out – You can absolutely get in a REAL workout without dripping in sweat or even having to change your clothes. There are even workouts you can do while sitting at your DESK – I swear on my favorite Zella leggings. And I’m absolutely going to share a ton of these great routines with you throughout the coming weeks and months – but first let’s get you prepped for the fitness fun to come! (yes, I said fun ; )
What you’ll need:
- Either bring a change of clothes if you’d prefer or wear something you can move in – leggings and a tunic works well!
- Pack a small bag you can keep at the office with the following: deodorant, body wipes, hair ties, and a headband
- Invest in a cheap yoga mat / dumbbells (try 5 below!) and stash them in your desk
- Find open space! A vacant hallway or an empty conference room (you can even schedule a “meeting” with yourself)
- Get stretched out – run through some of the basics to get your legs and arms ready to move
- Enlist your coworkers – working out is always more fun with friends
- Use your lunch hour – take 30 minutes to stretch and get in a quick workout before you eat
- Drink a lot of water! You should be doing this anyway but make sure you up your intake on fitness days
- Take a walk – if nothing else, take 15-20 minutes to walk briskly around the block or up and down the stairs for cardio
Coming next – an awesome arms routine that only takes 10 minutes to complete. Pro tip: Do it twice ; ) Have a wonderful rest of your week!