People either love lemon, or they hate it. Now I’m not saying I could just start chewing on a slice (I couldn’t) but I WILL order any lemon dessert that exists. Unless I’ve just eaten my body weight in breadsticks… But I digress. My sweet tooth insisted that I had to figure out a way to make a “dessert” that was socially acceptable to eat for breakfast – and these lemon muffins are that dessert. OH and they only take about 5 minutes to prep and 15 to cook sooooooo enjoy!
The glaze is totally optional (she said sarcastically.)
No but really, you can omit it if you’re allergic to happiness or something. Either way, I recommend storing in an airtight container or bag and heating up for about 10-12 seconds prior to eating. Warm muffins > most other foods.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter melted
- 1/4 cup agave/maple syrup/honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon ~ approximately 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk/milk/cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine all the dry ingredients together.
- In another small bowl add the melted and cooled butter or coconut oil, agave, egg, greek yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in the lemon zest and fold into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, there will be enough batter for 6 muffins.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until tops are puffy and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes then remove from the muffin tin to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- To make the icing combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Drizzle over the muffins.
- Serve and enjoy!