I’m not going to lie, when I typed that post title I absolutely started singing “summer running, happened so fast; summer running, had me a blast.” Anyone else live life like a musical? Except most of the time running is not so fast, and it’s usually not a blast. BUT. There are absolutely a variety of ways to make those hot & humid workouts just a littttttle bit better.
I no longer track my time or map my route with my phone when I run – I decided it didn’t really matter how fast I was going as long as I was getting exercise. Right? Right! However, I still have a few key accessories for before, during and after my workouts that keep me healthy, happy and strong. Check them out!
1. FitBit – I know I’ve preached on the merits of my FitBit Flex before, but seriously you guys. If I’m not tracking my time, I still love knowing how many steps I’m taking – during the entire day AND during the course of my run. The FitBit app is crazy ridiculously helpful and basically keeps track of your entire health curriculum for you, including sleep habits. Find the one that works for you!
2. Running belt – How many times in the course of this blog have I mentioned the Target One Spot? I don’t know, because the number is entirely too high to count. It may have been $5, not $1 – but my new flexible, expandable running belt is worth every penny. YES it can hold your iPhone 6 (not yet personally tested with 6+) and YES it can hold your money, car keys and chapstick too! Stay tuned via instagram – I might do a series of “things I can now take running with me,” which I guarantee will be both highly ridiculous and ridiculously entertaining.
3. Headband – I don’t know how long I’ve been growing out my “bangs” but I still have pieces of hair that fall out of my ponytail and hit me in the eyes. A headband is literally the second most crucial element of my run, right after sneakers. These are legitimately perfect: they don’t slide or get super sweaty and smelly, AND they come in some awesome bright colors. #winning
4. OxyRub – Oh man, you guys. Don’t ever forget your sneakers on a beach trip, or you’ll have to run ON the beach… in barefeet. Listen, I love the feeling of sand beneath my toes as much as the next girl but I cannot handle running on that sh*t. My calves tensed up, my knees ached, my muscles were sore for the entire weekend. Relief only came after returning home and slathering OxyRub all over my legs – this stuff is magic, you guys. Best part? It doesn’t smell like IcyHot and it works even better – saving me from stinky, high school preseason nostalgia. Try it out for 20% off with code SAVEOXY2!
5. Protein snack – Is it me, or are you guys ravenously hungry after finishing a run? On second thought, I’m hungry pretty much 86% of the time, so this might be a slightly biased running “necessity.” But I digress: If you are like me and your stomach grumbles the minute you step out of a post-run shower, it’s time to fill up with a healthy snack. Your muscles NEED protein to rebuild and stay healthy, so you aren’t sidelined for your next workout! My current favorites include: peanut butter on wheat toast, greek yogurt/banana/almond butter smoothies, and just about any veggie dipped in hummus – preferably carrots : )
What are your summer running essentials, and how do you stay motivated to work out despite ridiculous temperatures? Talking to you, East Coast heat wave survivors!
This post was a collaboration with Brandbacker, but all opinions are my own! : )